Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sniperton

 With only a small window of riding time available to me only a few days a week … I really try to maximize my time with Snip. With him it is not so much quantity, or amount of time I’m in the saddle, its more the quality of stuff I can get him to think about. I have been trying to stress in my own mind precision in cues, direction and really rewarding those things that are positive, flexion, try, impulsion, etc. He is a very willing little horse, and I have to try not to ask too much at one time. Although, it is truly a balance considering that we only have three weeks from Friday until the sale. Yikes. I want him to be as marketable as possible, yet I know that all of that is dictated by the hand of God.




In this particular session he was really barn bound and did not want to leave the road frontage near the pen he lives and the other colts he lives with. Not a big deal and it gave me a chance to work on feel, stop, back, and flex. We even got a few turns on the haunches. We were just on the road, and because so much has melted from the big snow a few days ago, the road was actually somewhat spongy and soft… good for baby horse feet. Although like his brother and sister they all seem to have really hard feet... Praise God!



Anyway, we ended when he willingly walked past the tack room, hay barn and mobile. He is a smart little horse… speaking of little, he sure is growing…he might actually be a stout horse in the end, despite his mothers petite size.

No comments:

Post a Comment