Thursday, April 22, 2010

Garden Pests!!!

I have been invaded by PESTS! In my newly planted orchard I have been combating pests for about two weeks…. I have been successful with a mild dish soap spray, planting bug deterring plants and flowers at the bases of the trees and of course a goat milk barrier every now and then But something bigger and much more destructive has found my little garden spot! It comes in the night….and so far it looks to be after something deep in the soil!!! At first, we had thoughts that it could be an armadillo. There is one we have seen off the back porch (even on the back porch) from time to time. But after last night’s visit I am thinking we may have a small porcine of sorts!!!! So far the only damage is a few snow peas were upturned and some rooting around my blueberries and raspberries. We don’t have visual conformation of a pig…but I don’t want to wait around until he brings his buddies!!!




We are thinking of putting a hotwire perimeter around the whole area…hopefully it works….before the intruder stumbles upon my very young tomatoes, peppers and squash. Everything is at its infancy and what a wreck a rootin pig would be. May God spare their little lives….the plants that is, not the invader!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is something I don't have to deal with in the city! I think a hotwire fence would work but I heard they dig under the ground. For small bugs have you tried neem oil? It works wonders.

    ReplyDelete