Thursday, January 7, 2010

Blanket extravaganza!

It all began an hour before I needed to be up the hill, yesterday evening... when we realized that the weather conditions were going to be treacherous Aaron shuffled some horses around and then I was sent out to blanket. Although, we have been working on building this place up to be “weather ready” we aren’t exactly there. So some horses are directly exposed to any harsh weather. I headed out. I started with Bella, Music, Sara and Camille. It was Camille’s first time with anything on her back, so I took some convincing that this was a good idea. Thankfully, she seems to have taken after her father when it comes to brains, so she settled down and I was able to do all the straps adjustments and attachments. She looks quite cute in her purple and turquoise plaid:)




Next it was time for the boys. We put Tyke (a client horse, black stallion) in the alley, so the weanlings and the new roan colt could get in the three sided shelter in the square pen without being bullied. He was the hardest one to deal with. I guess he has never worn a blanket and he is a little pushy, but I managed to get him all cozied up.



Gyp, Snip and Tank were up in the pen next to the driveway. Snip was already wearing his blanket so he was just pestering me for treats and scratching while I was trying to catch and blanket the other two. Gyp was easy and just stood chewing with a leg cocked. He really is a nice little horse. Tank let me catch him and I was able to blanket him with only a little persuasion. It shows that the kids work with him is paying off, and sinking in. Had the storm been a month earlier, he may have had to weather the storm with ice hanging in his fur. Praise the Lord he is coming along.



So with that I was out of time and could only throw grain to a handful of horses, as not to be late. But the winter, blanketing extravaganza wasn’t over yet….



After Moomoo, Bowen and Aaron feel asleep, I laid baby Sara down around 12:23 am, and I began bundling. I probably looked pretty funny, with Aarons “Elmer Fud” hat over a beanie, my wild rag wrapped around my face and my ski jumpers over my coat. It’s no wonder the horses were temporarily alarmed. But I hadn’t had time earlier to blanket old Sissy and I felt it was necessary. So I grabbed her blanket and a halter. As I was trudging over I realized that there was a handful more horses than I expected. Rick Cars’ horses and Music had busted through the gate and were hogging the shelter. So…. I kicked them out, back to their side of the pasture, but decided to blanket them too. I figured I should reward their resourcefulness. Sissy was easy and seemed glad. I had drug a bale of alfalfa/orchard out and fed everyone. I was able to catch Ricks mare….but she is half crippled….and the gelding was trotting around like a wild stallion so at nearly 1:30 am I decided if he turned into an icesicle it would be Gods will for his life….at least I tried. I fed everyone hay except the Thouro’s and the cows. For the time being everyone seemed “comfortable” and content. How you can be sure looking at animals covered in ice and munching feed…just trust God that they are:)

No comments:

Post a Comment