Monday, January 4, 2010

Snip Hits the Road and I don't... Praise the Lord!

The opportunity presented itself for me to take Snip out. I was not really sure what I was going to do…since the round pen was frozen , the square pen was frozen …basically everything was frozen. But I couldn’t sit around contemplating for long or I would be frozen! Even though it has been 6 days since he’d been saddled I decided to take him for a ride down the road. Although, it too, was frozen, it is at least somewhat flat. When the ground is frozen every ridge is hard and virtually unmovable. Not the best terrain for wobbly young horses. So off we went; cinch snug, sporting a snaffle Snip has only worn twice, semi-frozen to my seat.


He was a little sticky with his buddies along the fence, but something was interesting up in the distance….something that Snip eagerly wanted to follow. He trotted off freely, I was a little skeptical to let him go, but he felt really good, so off we went. He seemed to be a little scared of the thing he was following but they kept going, so, he did as well. Every so often I would check in and bend him to both sides. It could be sorry if he forgot I was there and then realized somewhere out in the woods that he was packing a predator. He was feeling like a broke horse, soft responsive and really lively. We went down our road, turned right up past Carcass Canyon, to the green gate, on to the property, up to the folks house site. By now my chin and lips were almost numb. So I managed to work my wild rag over my face with one hand while holding the split reins in my other gloved hand. We trotted circles in both direction on Jesse’s graded shop site. Then down the hill again, to the back side of our house. When we got to the cow pen he came to a calm stop. I got a soft lateral flexion to both sides, stepped a hip over and got off. I lead him up to the tack room and was really excited. He really did well, Praise God, and I am looking forward to our next outing.



So aren’t you wondering what Snip decided to follow? Was it a car, was it a bird, was it a loose horse…it was Buster and Freckles, who had escaped from the yard (through a gate that was left open) But it was a blessing God had directed m y path… down the path and around the property.

1 comment: