Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snip on the Trail...

It had been almost a week since my last Snip adventure, but the opportunity arose and I was able to squeeze in a little time outside. I was blessed to be able to go with my cousin, she decided to ride Sierra (the Master Merada mare that we call Sierra now that we have a daughter named Sara Keeps things simple). We saddle up and I decided to move Snip out a little in the round pen. You never really know how a young horse will be after so much time off. Suprisingly, he seemed better than I left him. It’s amazing when that happens. So, I decided he was ready to go.








I lead him out of the round pen and on to the road. We goat on and headed out…well sort of… both the horses were reluctant to go anywhere. It seemed like a half and hour before we turned the corner. Once we did however it was far from smooth sailing. I tend to ride really relaxed out on the trail. I like to give the young horses a lot of leeway to get the feel of a rider on their back at various gaits and over differing terrain without having much tension on the reins. Usually, I feel I have enough control even on a loose rein to keep them out of trouble, or have the dexterity to shorten up if we get into trouble. Well, Snip had a plan C and dove to the right and attempted to jump a rocky ditch next to the road…. I say attempted because he didn’t quiet make it to the other side. He hit the other side funny and then fell to his knees. I felt a face plant into the rocks was indefinite as he began to fall to his side… but somehow, by God’s mercy and kindness, Snip was able to regain his footing and catch me in mid-expulsion, putting me back in the saddle. Thankfully we were both fine, but now we are on the other side of the ditch and Snip is not willing to do a repeat act to get back to the other side. In the mean time as I am trying to get the chicken to cross the road, Sam was almost squashed by a speeding UPS man. They really drive fast on these roads. I finally had to get off Snip and show him how to get back to the other side.






I remounted and we were going again, past the green gate and over toward the Beautiful valley …or Filthy valley depending on who you are talking to The rest of the ride was great…Sam thought she got us lost, but the Lord directed our paths and we ended up where we were supposed to be in the end. Snip is real nice to ride and feels like a big horse under ya. I think he will make someone a great horse.






Hopefully, today will hold more Adventures of Snip…according to the Lords will. It is supposed to be sunny again and its already 32 degrees and its only 9 am… Toasty






Here is a picture of Snipperton about a month ago…. He is really going through a growth stage and looks like he has a foal body on four adult horse legs. Hopefully, He will balance out before the sale…or I will have to put “giraffe” somewhere in his ad…


No comments:

Post a Comment